Want to start a new blog, but can’t decide which is the best blogging platform? The sheer number of choices in the market can confuse anyone. And choosing the right platform becomes an overwhelming task. If you are in a similar situation, we can help you shortlist the best blogging platforms and help you make the right decision. Doing your research and choosing the correct platform is essential to ensure you can make the most of your blog. Thus, you should take some time to have a look at what all the different platforms have to offer, and choose accordingly. If you are short on time and are looking to make a quick decision, we have listed all the top blogging platforms in this list. Check it out to learn more about the sites and choose the ideal option to start your blog.
WordPress.org is considered the best blogging platform in the market. It is a content management system (CMS) and a self-hosted blogging platform. You will find this option on the top spot in almost all lists. There are a number of reasons why WordPress is on the top of the list, this platform offers a range of advantages to users and is easy to use as well. Ever since its inception in 2004, WordPress has become a favorite, and powers 33.4% of the internet.
This platform is trusted by platforms like BBC, Time Magazine, New York Post, etc. Being a free and open-source platform works to its advantage and attracts the new bloggers right in. You should check out the CloudInnovare plugin to make your site faster. It can help you with caching and optimizing images for your website. We have been using it for a long time and it has boosted our performance, do check it out if you are struggling with speed. Some of the most notable advantages of this platform are
- You can customize your blog according to your taste and preference. This platform is completely customizable.
- Users will have access to thousands of free themes. Thus, you can create a professional-looking blog on your own, without the help of a designer.
- It is very easy to install and set up.
- You can find a range of WordPress plugins that can help you make your site faster and boost its performance. You can also make your blog available in a different language on this platform.
- WordPress.org is considered search engine friendly. Thus, you can rank your blog higher using SEO best practices. You will also have access to a range of free SEO tools that will help you make your blog rank higher in the search results.
- One of the primary cons of using this blogging platform is that there is a bit of a learning curve if you want to customize your whole site. Thus, you will have to install time and effort to learn it.
- This platform is self-hosted, and some technical issues may arise with it. But, you can fix this problem by getting a managed WordPress hosting.
Although the WordPress software is free. But, if you are setting up a professional blog, you will need a domain and a hosting plan. WordPress offers a hosting solution at $7.99 per month and provides a domain name at $14.99 per year. However, this can be expensive for new bloggers. But, you can resolve this issue by partnering with another hosting provider such as Bluehost. They offer hosting solutions at cost-effective prices and are even recommended by WordPress itself.
Blogger is one of the simplest and oldest blogging platforms. Since they have been around for a long time, users have decoded the use of this option, and help the new users understand it better. One of the primary limitations of this platform is its lack of themes and plugins. It is the most significant reason why bloggers switch to other options like WordPress to grow their blogs. Many users start with Blogger, but once they realize the potential of their blog, they switch to WordPress. In any case, Blogger lets you monetize your blogs with their Google Adsense services. These services are built-in and you can easily activate them right from the dashboard.
- This platform is hosted by Google.
- Users will have ease of signup and can do so right from their Google Account.
- Users will get no options to upgrade.
- This platform also has very limited customization options. Hence, if you do not have any knowledge of CSS or HTML you will not be able to customize your blog.
- You will not be able to add any online store.
- Since it does not have any plugins, you will not be able to add any more features to your blog.
Blogger may work as a decent choice for first-time bloggers, but it is not suitable for professional bloggers. Their Google Adsense option is very appealing and allows you to monetize your blog. But even with that option, it will be a bit hard to scale. However, if you are new to blogging, and are looking for a fuss-free option, Blogger can be the best blogging platform for you. It is a decent choice, and all the functions can be accessed right from the dashboard. Users that are familiar with Google, and are looking for a Google blogging platform, can have a look at bloggers as a potential option.
Wix is also considered one of the best blogging platforms. It is in direct competition with WordPress and boasts over 110 million users. This platform is used as a website builder and can be used to start a blog. The drag and drop function will allow you to build your website easily. With Wix, you can launch your blog using their application for free. However, if you are looking to connect your custom domain you will need their premium package. Since Wix is a hosting blogging platform, you will have to manage the server-side of things. This can be the best blogging platform for users who only want to use their website for blogging and nothing else. They also have a simple interface, which will be easier for users to understand and use. And you can build your website within minutes.
- You can set up your blog easily, no coding is required to manage the platform.
- Users can use Wix to start an online store as well.
- A variety of themes allow you to change the look of your site.
- They offer a logo maker as well, to help you design a logo for your brand.
- Users will get limited features with the free plan.
- Themes are fixes, and once selected cannot be changed
- It is not SEO-friendly like other blogging platforms.
- You might not be able to find plugins and third-party applications.
Wix is an ideal solution for those who want to set up a website quickly, and are not very fond of customization. Their blogging platform is considered just as good as WordPress, and you can read our direct comparison on our article about WordPress vs Wix. This can be an ideal solution for new bloggers, and because of their simple features, it will be easy to set up and does not involve a lot of learning.
Medium is one of the free publishing platforms which became popular because of its minimalist style. This platform was founded in the year 2012, and it has been considered one of the best blogging platforms ever since. Since it is easy to use and completely free, it will be the best option for new bloggers. This platform also has a community where you can promote your article. Before you make your decision about the best blogging platform, you should be aware of the services offered by this platform. Medium cannot be used as a platform to run your website or a store. They use their servers to host all the articles so you will not have to worry about the hosting costs or experiencing technical issues.
This platform can be considered a social media platform for blogging. Thus, you can use it as a platform to share your articles. And since it has an ever-growing audience, you can share your content with the social network. You can also sign up for their partner program that allows you to get paid for writing. The payment will be based on the engagement your articles get from paying members. The only con of using this platform is in case your Medium account is lost, you will also lose all your audience. Thus, you should adhere to their guidelines and conditionals to keep your account. However, if you want to host a blog, you should check out other blogging platforms.
- This platform is very easy to use.
- You can monetize your blog using their partner program.
- Also, you will have an audience that can help you promote your work.
- There is only one way to earn money
- You will also not be able to create professional websites
- There are no customization options.
- Losing your account means losing all your audience and all your money as well.
You can blog on Medium for free. This platform will not charge you a single penny to share your articles and content with the audience. With this, you will not have to worry about hosting costs as well. However, since you do not own the content you share, it can be taken down at any time without your consent. Thus, if you want to grow your blog, you should stick with an option that you can control. However, if you are just blogging for fun, Medium can be the best blogging platform for you.
Squarespace is a website building service that has been around since 2003. After its inception, it has been used to power millions of websites around the world. Thus, if you are looking to create a simple solution with little effort, Squarespace can be the best blogging platform for you. This option not only lets you create your own websites or online stores but also lets you store podcasts. This platform comes with a range of beautiful templates that can be used to make your site more appealing. Although, they give you an option to customize several aspects of your website. But you still do not have full control. Thus, if you are looking for full control, you should look at other blogging platforms on the list.
- You can use a range of templates found on this platform. These templates are easy to use and will help you make your site look aesthetically pleasing.
- Users won’t need separate hosting providers, as this platform is hosted by Squarespace themselves.
- This website is easy to launch and set up even when you don’t have any designing or developing experience.
- You will not be able to access any third-party add-ons or plugins on your website.
- The users will have to pay for the services
- You will also not get many customization options as you can get on other blogging platforms.
- Users may feel tied down to their platform.
Squarespace is the best blogging platform for newbies and people who are not very good with technology. Thus, if you’re someone who is looking for a solution where someone else manages your website, Squarespace it is. This platform is perfect for bloggers who simply want to write and sell things online and have a professional take care of all the other components. They have a paid plan, and once you sign up, you can use their services. However, if you are looking for a free solution other options on this list will be better for you. Platforms like WordPress and Wix give better control and you can promote your blog easily with them.
Finding the best blogging platform can be a massive task. With all the options available in the markets users often get confused and make the wrong choice. Thus, doing your research and finding the ideal option suited for your unique needs is crucial. When you use a platform that gives you all the advantages you want and the freedom to control it. You will be able to share your content with the right audience and get better results. WordPress has always been the best blogging platform, and when used with Bluehost, you can make the most of this option.
However, if you are looking for quick solutions, Wix can be a good choice as well. With other options like Blogger and Medium, you get to share your content with the audience. But will have no control over your content. Thus, you should assess your options and do the research before choosing the ideal option for you. If you enjoyed reading this article, have a look at our other article about How to Sell Online Courses from your own Website. Keep checking our blogs for more interesting posts like this. Happy Reading!