Here’s a list of the best food blogs that you should start following right away if you want to start your food blog or if you want to try some recipes yourself.
Food is a major part of the culture. So, it makes sense to talk, write and blog about such a topic.
In this blog, I will not only share some of my favorite food blogs but also share some tips to help you launch your very own food blog.
Do you need a special web design to launch a food blog?
Yes, food blogs are usually bolder, colorfully, and bubbly. So, in many cases, using a generic WordPress theme or a prebuilt template might not get you the look and feel that you desire.
What features do you need in a food blog?
A food blog should have a lot of unique features that separate it from other websites. You can use premium WordPress themes and free WordPress themes to get these features.
Some of such features are as follow:
- Review boxes to help you post reviews about various products and even food items.
- Custom post types to create different styles of posts for different categories.
- Front-end user-registration
- Shopping cart features
- And more.
What type of blogs are considered food blogs?
Food blogs aren’t necessarily concentrated on “food”. There is a range of topics that food blogs cover on this internet.
Here’s a small list of the type of topics that you’ll see food blogs cover that isn’t food:
- Hotel reviews
- Recipe blogs
You can also blog about sub-topic on your food blog.
That said if you are a foodie and want to focus on various cuisines and food items, blog about your favorite topic.
How to make money running a food blog?
It’s not easy to make it big in any given industry. The food blogging industry in itself is a competitive niche and you will have to put in the hard work to make some noise in this niche.
If you manage to grow big and attract some genuine readers online, making money is going to be an easy task.
These are some of the many monetization techniques used by food bloggers to make money with their blogs:
- Google AdSense and similar display ad networks.
- Affiliate marketing: You promote other people’s or company’s products that are relevant in your niche and make a decent commission.
- Selling products that are useful to your readers and followers. Many bloggers have used this strategy to generate $100K+/mo in revenue.
- Blog consultancy and coaching.
- Sponsored blogging
- Paid review
How long does it take for a food blog to make money today?
Making money online isn’t as easy one would like to think. There are a lot of factors that come into play once you plan to start an online venture.
So, your priority is to publish as many high-quality blog posts in the first year itself.
It’s speculated that a blog can take somewhere around 6-18 months to receive organic search traffic from Google.
So, I reckon, you will have to work hard for at least 2 years to make a decent full-time income from your website.
So, forget about revenue for the first two years and focus on publishing food articles to attract readers.
How to make sure that your food blog starts attracting interested readers as soon as possible?
The sweet combination of having a fast website that loads within 3 seconds, high-quality long-form content, and consistency will help you in ranking your website in a short period.
Services such as CloudInnovare will help you in building a super-fast WordPress website that’ll help you in ranking on Google.
How to turn your food blog into an authority blog?
Authority blogs are blogs with a sparkling reputation online. This means you will have to create some mind-blowing content to make your mark online.
It will be a challenge for you to create an authority food blog on your own. So, if you plan to build an authority blog from the start, you should hire multiple authors and specifically target topics that are highly relevant and will remain relevant for years to come.
I hope I was able to clear some of your food blogging-related doubts, let’s dive into the lists and see what the top blogs in this category are doing and what sets them apart.
Deliciously Ella has grown into a food magazine that millions of foodies follow monthly. From food recipes, products, cookbooks, podcasts, and more, Deliciously Ella is the perfect example of an authority Food blog.
They are a plant-based food and wellness portal that shares vegan recipes with millions of their readers.
What can you learn from Deliciously Ella?
- Targeting a specific niche such as a vegan lifestyle can help you in building your own identity in this crowded blogging category.
- You can try various monetization methods such as selling products, through ads and affiliate marketing.
- Your food blog can sport a simple design with a few visual elements and still look good and appealing.
Best Food Blogs: A Pinch of Yum
Run by a group of talented people, A Pinch of Yum is one of the food blogs that inspires hundreds of aspiring bloggers today.
You can learn a lot from their website design. As soon as you visit the website, you’ll realize that almost all of their content is recipes and they make it pretty clear using the header navigation menu.
What can you learn from A Pinch Of Yum?
- Although the recipe blog niche is a tough nut to crack, you can still make a business out of it if you put in the work.
- A simple blog design is more than enough to run a food blog.
- At least 10 blog posts per month.
With such a blog, you can easily make money by offering consultation services. You can use services such as Trinitio to automate your appointment scheduling process.
Cookie + Kate
Cookie + Kate sports a pretty simple web design that doesn’t have any fancy blocks on its homepage. Instead, you see an archive of food recipes. You can click on any of these recipes and read the blog.
The single post page shows some custom elements that aren’t readily available with WordPress.
Custom boxes such as “Nutrition Facts” and print-ready recipe with all the important details about the recipe gives this blog all the features that it needs to satisfy its readers search intent.
What can you learn from Cookie + Kate?
- You can start with just a simple blog template that you can easily download for free these days.
- If you are using WordPress, you can easily make things more accessible to your readers by using some WordPress plugins.
Best Food Blogs: The Kitchn
When I mentioned earlier that you don’t need to blog about just food, I was talking about The Kitchn.
Multiple authors spend days researching about various topics and write about different topics such as:
- Meal prep
- Vacation tips
- Kitchen tools and resources
On top of that, they also have some products that they sell in their e-commerce shop.
What can you learn from The Kitchn?
- Food blogging is a lucrative business and you can generate a lot of revenue from just your recipe websites.
- Hiring experienced authors will help you in propelling your website in the right direction.
- Use email marketing to increase the revenue generation potential.
Best Food Blogs: Damn Delicious
Damn delicious is another great-looking food blog that has a simple homepage layout with 4 column grid that displays blog posts from various categories.
They only focus on recipes and cookbooks. So, if you are someone who loves cooking and wants to explore some new recipes, Damn Delicious will help you a lot.
What can you learn from Damn Delicious?
- Keep it a simple and only blog about topics that you are truly passionate about.
- Even if you don’t have multiple revenue sources, you’ll still make good money online with display ads.
- High-quality content will keep your food blog relevant for years down the line.
Best Food Blogs: Skinny Taste
With more than 1000 food blogs including recipes, Skinny Taste may very well be one of the biggest food blogs out there.
Although this blog has some fancy elements that you may or may not see in conventional blogs, the design remains minimal and soothing to the eye.
No crowded homepage or unnecessary clutter to confuse the reader but still showing all the important information about a particular recipe.
What can you learn from Skinny Taste?
- Make use of multiple colors in your web design to make things pop while keeping the whole look and feel minimal.
- Display all the vital nutritional information about the recipe in a place where everybody can access it easily.
Sweet as Honey
Sweet as Honey is my source of Keto recipes and diet plans. It’s pretty hard to find such quality articles on the Keto diet. So, Sweet as Honey has a special place in my heart.
Their website sports a complex homepage with various types of content blocks. You’ll see categories, stories similar to Instagram, latest articles, popular articles of the month, and more.
What can you learn from Sweet as Honey?
- I love how they have implemented a version of stories on their homepage. Makes the whole website look intuitive and appealing.
- Sweet as Honey makes use of almost all the monetization methods that a typical food blog would use.
- Although they use a lot of design elements, their website still manages to load within 5 seconds. That’s just amazing as most web developers and web designers have to make compromises to make sure that the website is fast.
Best Food Blogs: Love and Olive Oil
If you visit Love and Olive Oil, you’ll see a simple website with recipes and some travel blog posts.
I am a big fan of such simple web design. The contrast helps when skimming through articles.
The homepage is categorized into different sections with 4 column grids showing the latest from each category.
What can you learn from Love and Olive Oil?
- Consistent content production will help you build a powerful brand online.
- You can also incorporate closely related such as travel and lifestyle into your food blog.
- A web design with good contrast will always help in readability and SEO.
- Avoid displaying a summary of posts, instead of using grid columns to display the featured images, and title. This will help you in loading more posts without over-crowding your homepage.
The First Mess
I am a big fan of keto diets and a vegan lifestyle. I am slowly trying to adapt to a vegan lifestyle. So, I keep researching good vegan recipes.
While researching a vegan recipe, I stumbled on The First Mess food blog. Needless to say, I am pleased with their recipe and have also subscribed to their newsletters.
What can you learn from The First Mess?
- Even if your web design doesn’t sport that many colors, images, and other multimedia will fill in the blanks.
- Classifying various cooking styles is awesome and your readers will love your content even more as now they can easily find what they are searching for.
Best Food Blogs: Sally’s Baking Addiction
Sally’s Baking Addiction is all about baking and chances are that you’ll find any baking recipe on this blog.
This makes Sally’s Baking Addiction one of the most special food blogs out there.
I have tried their Double Chocolate Muffins recipe.
The muffins turned out stunning and my friends loved them.
What can you learn from Sally’s Baking Addiction?
- Food blogging is a gigantic niche. So, it is wiser to niche down and blog about a topic that has a lot of layers to explore.
- Minimal and color design goes well with baking recipe blogs.
Conclusion: Best Food Blogs
In this article, I have listed my favorite and some of the best food blogs online today.
If you launch a Google search for a recipe-related query, chances are that you’ll land on one of these websites.
If you are a foodie like me who loves to cook and bake, you can bookmark these websites and try out some awesome recipes.
So, are you ready to start your food blog? If yes, what’s your favorite topic? And what type of website design will you go with?
Drop your thoughts in the comment section below.